NEW Report on urban commons:
In October 2019, CITIES accompanied a team of researchers, civil
servants, and field practitioners from Barcelona and Montreal to Seoul on a study mission. Their rich
exchanges and observations of the urban commons initiatives in Seoul served as the basis for this new
report published by CITIES. The report analyzes the data gathered during the week-long mission in Seoul
and also includes notable cases of urban commons from Barcelona and Montreal. So far, the report is
available in K orean only.
This report was published with the support of Seoul Social Economy Center.
CITIES is seeking 4 participants from Montreal to participate in a study mission on the themes of the sharing economy and the urban commons which will take place in Seoul, South Korea from Sept 30 – Oct 4, 2019.
- To identify and exchange good practices and inspiring examples on the urban commons and the sharing economy
- To outline mutual barriers and opportunities faced by the three cities, and a possible course of action for future collaboration between them.
- 3 days of stakeholder meetings and field visits to relevant project sites and organizations
- 1 days of seminar among participants
- 1 day of independent meetings between visiting participants and organizations in Seoul
- Financial assistance is available for all participants, but participants are expected to contribute to the financing of their participation. To participate, participants pay the participation fees and for their meals during their stay in Seoul. The rest of the mission costs will be covered by CITIES, City of Montreal, City of Barcelona, City of Seoul, and other funding partners of CITIES.
- The participation fees are as follows:
- Participants from a social economy organization: 1000 CAD
- Institutional participants (social economy support organization/university researcher): 2000 CAD
Mandatory eligibility requirements:
- Applicants must be a practitioner in a civil society organization or an academic researcher whose work is related to the sharing economy and/or urban commons. The organization must be based in Montreal, Quebec or Barcelona, Catalunya.
- Applicants must demonstrate significant experience in researching and/or managing urban commons and/or sharing economy issues and initiatives.
All the details about the mission are here, in the document Call for participation.
To apply, please submit the following required documents by 11:59 PM Friday, June 28, 2019:
- Relevant work (publications, projects, etc.)
- Two paragraphs on your expectations and the expertise you can contribute to the mission
Please send submissions and general inquiries to: email@example.com
CITIES team visited Seoul From March the 18th to March the 22th, and presented Quebec Social Economy Innovation Models.
Martin Van Den Borre, the executive director of CITIES(International Centre for Innovation and Knowledge Transfer on the Social and Solidarity Economy) and Geneviève Huot, he deputy director of TIESS(Territoires innovants en économie sociale et solidaire) presented on Quebec Social Economy Innovation Models at Social Social Economy Center.
Part 1. March the 18th 14:00-15:30, Health cooperative innovation based on citizen’s solidarity
Part 2. March the 18th 16:00-17:30, Knowledge transfer methodology for social economy
Part 3. March the 18th 10:30-12:00, Youth service CJS, youth entrepreneurship Program
Medical and welfare social cooperatives, professors and students of social economy in domestic universities, workers in social economy support centers and youth education programs participated in those sessions.
This visit is expected to lead to active knowledge transfer activities between Seoul and Quebec.
CITIES visited the Korea Social Value and Solidarity Fund and singed MOU on the Publication of “Guide to analysis of social economy enterprises”
On March 22, CITIES visited the Korean Social Value and Solidarity Fund office in Seoul for the signing ceremony of the Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) on the Publication of “Guide to Analysis of Social Economy Enterprises” between SVSF, CAP Finance, RISQ and CITIES.
We hope that this MOU concludes a good opportunity that two territories can share more books and materials on social economy sector.
Living environments, citizens participation, social economy… How can we redefine the city? URBAN COMMONS – A study mission to Barcelona 25 -30 November 2018
During six intense days, a Montreal delegation gathering representatives from the City of Montreal, academic institutions and social economy organisations participated in a study mission to Barcelona about the urban commons. This project is co-organised by CITIES and Solon, a collective non-profit organization that proposes to recreate neighborhoods in the lanes of Montreal, by co-creating and implementing energy and mobility projects with citizens.
Stay connected because interesting deliverables to share the learnings and feedback from the mission – study cases, comparative tools, video… – are right now in progress!
Wake up with C.I.T.I.E.S. !
Tuesday October 2nd, 8am- 9am, Networking Txokolounge
Meet C.I.T.I.E.S. and its member territories in an interactive breakfast with international gastronomic specialties and much more:
– C.I.T.I.E.S. practical experiences
– Conversation: “The social economy as an axis for local development”
Mr. Won Soon Park, Mayor of Seoul
Mr. Gerardo Pisarello, First Deputy Mayor of Barcelona
Mr. Robert Beaudry, Deputy Mayor for Economic Development, Montreal
Come and join us!
CITIES has been in Barcelona coordinating and facilitating the FORUM OF SOCIAL AND SOLIDARITY ECONOMY FOR LOCAL DEVELOPMENT on Tuesday May 22, 2018. In line with the theme of the day, “For a local development supported by public policies of social economy and solidary (SSE) “, we had the opportunity to learn more about the practical experiences of various territories at an international level: the city of Barcelona, the region of Québec, the province of Andalucia, the city of Puebla, the municipality of Mondragon and the city of Havana. All this, accompanied by the interesting interventions of the participants from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Argentina, Canada, United States, Spain, Chile … A very enriching experience!
More photos at our Facebook page.
Check the video produced by the City of Barcelona about this conference!
Bilbao – October 1st – 3rd 2018
Euskalduna Conference Center
The 4th edition of the Global Social Economy Forum (GSEF) will be held this year in Bilbao. The event, which has been taking place since 2013, opens up a dialogue between local governments and civil society actors. It is a place of sharing and collaboration where the development of the Social Economy is at the center of discussions. Check here the official program. CITIES will be present as a speaker, and also hosting a special side-event. Don’t miss it!
With more than one hundred guests in attendance—including local and foreign government representatives, Gerardo Pisarello, deputy mayor of Barcelona, and Alvaro Porro, Barcelona’s political commissioner responsible for the social economy—C.I.T.I.E.S.presented the vision and policies that will position it as a tool for international collaboration serving innovative cities that are committed to the social economy, also marking the official launch of the organization’s activities in Montréal.
More pictures on our Facebook page.
Read the official press release published by CITIES and Montreal International: here